¼ cup olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cups arborio or carnaroli rice
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock, heated
4 tablespoons butter (½ stick), diced
1 pound cremini (brown Italian) mushrooms
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
freshly ground black pepper
kettle of boiling water
1. Heat olive oil in large non-stick pot, such as a Dutch oven, over medium heat.
2. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until golden, stirring occasionally.
3. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes.
4. Gradually add ½ cup of the hot broth, sitting constantly; when the broth is absorbed,
add another ½ cup of broth; repeat until all the broth has been absorbed and the
rice is al dente (barely tender) and has a creamy consistency, about 20 minutes;
add salt and pepper to taste (about ½ to 1 teaspoon of each) add boiling water if
you run out of broth before reaching this stage.
5. In the meantime, melt the butter in a separate large pan over medium heat; add
mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have released their
liquid, the liquid has evaporated, and the mushrooms have browned, about 10
minutes; add salt and pepper to taste (about ¼ to ½ teaspoon of each).
6. Add the cooked mushrooms and any juices to the cooked rice and stir to combine.
7. Remove from heat, add the cheese and stir to combine.
8. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese and ground pepper if desired.
Risotto #01..jpgRisotto #02..jpgRisotto #03..jpgRisotto #04..jpgRisotto #05..jpgRisotto #06..JPGRisotto #07..JPGRisotto #08..JPGRisotto #09..JPGRisotto #10..JPG