Risotto alla Coniadina (Risotto with Sausage)
RISOTTO ALLA CONTADINA
Peasant-Style Risotto with Sausage
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 sweet Italian sausage (about 5 ounces), cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups arborio or carnaroli rice
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
salt & freshly ground black pepper
kettle of boiling water
1. Heat the broth in a large pot until boiling, then reduce heat and keep warm; bring a kettle of water to boil, reduce heat and keep warm.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan such as a Dutch Oven over medium heat; add the carrot, celery, onion, and sausage and saute for about 5 minutes or until the onion is golden, stirring occasionally; pour off excess fat from the sausage.
3. Add the rice to the pan and stir for 2 minutes until well coated with oil.
4. Add 1 cup of the hot broth to the pan, stirring constantly; when the broth is absorbed, add another ½ cup of broth; repeat until all the broth has been absorbed and the rice is al dente (barely tender) and has a creamy consistency, about 20 minutes; add salt and pepper to taste (about ½ teaspoon each); add hot water if you run out of broth before reaching this stage.
5. When the rice has reached the right texture, remove the pan from the heat and add the grated Parmesan cheese and the butter, stirring to combine.
6. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese and ground pepper if desired.
Serves 4 as a main course.
Tags for this Thread